Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Born This Way to Stay Gleeful!

It’s about damn time that Glee got back to tying in great music (that most people might not have heard before, or haven’t heard in a while) and really do a great job tying it into the storyline.

Tonight’s episode dealt with the great dilemma of accepting the things about yourself that you might get ridiculed for, because after all, that’s what makes you one in a million! And after episode after episode solely dedicated to the guest star (yes, Ms. Paltrow) or how many current songs they can throw in (Adele’s “Turning Tables” and Katy Perry’s “Firework”), it was so refreshing to see Glee tonight get back to what really made it amazing in the first place.

The Good
First of all, I’m SOOOOO happy that Kurt is back at McKinley! And as randomly spontaneous as it was, The Warblers’ rendition of Keane’s “Somewhere Only We Know” was precious and beautiful. Hopefully we’ll be seeing Blaine at McKinley soon!
I was very happy that they brought Karofsky’s storyline back to the forefront too. And who didn’t love his talk with Santana?!! You go girl and all your bitchiness! And thank you for starting to show your true colors!
Aside from all of that, the humor was spot on, the music fit right in, the characters developed even more, and the storylines were beautiful and poignant, especially with Emma’s acceptance of her OCD. It was great that such a mainstream show like this (which has already earned its place by sponsoring acceptance and what makes us all different and unique) bring that to a new extreme and really focus in on insecurities and accepting who we all are.
But no moment can compare to my two favorite ones of the night. First: the mash-up of TLC’s “Unpretty” and “I Feel Pretty” from West Side Story! I saw that they were covering this and really got confused as to how they would fit these two together, but they pulled off another great mashup.
And Two: Kurt’s shirt at the end that simply said “I like boys” (something I know everyone can relate too). But in all seriousness though, it was a proud moment to see that on at 8:30 primetime on FOX!
Might not be the actual shirt, but this is the closest I could get to :)

The Bad
While I do admire that Quinn has a big flaw and skeleton in her closet, at first glance her ugly picture seemed like a joke. And even though I did like Santana’s little quirks with Karofsky (the gay humor and all) I don’t like the fact that it built up all my hope that he was going to finally come out tonight! Those were both tiny moments in the episode, only two that I had to really think about and find because everything else was just about perfect!
But one thing that has been bothering me throughout the season that needs to be addressed…can Ashley Fink (who plays Lauren Zizes) please learn to annunciate and clearly speak her lines? She has amazing one-liners, but you can never understand her!

What to Look Forward To
I can’t help but spoil the surprise for myself. I know what’s happening in the next upcoming episodes. Best of all, I know who is going to be Prom King and Queen (but I won’t spoil it for any of you just yet). But I’m really looking forward to how all these little angles in the storylines play out and come together.
And best of all…I’M SO EXCITED KRISTIN CHENOWETH IS BACK NEXT WEEK!!!

Hallelujah


Happy Glee to you all!