Monday, April 18, 2011

I'm Glad These Are Her Worst (Top 5 Worst Jennifer Lopez Singles)

I feel as though I'm preparing for a marathon...a marathon of LOVE that is! 2 weeks counting down until Jennifer Lopez releases her album Love?. To commemorate this event, here is the first blog posting:

Isn't she gorgeous?!!!
Jennifer Lopez is my Madonna, my Barbara, my Liza. In my eyes she can do no wrong, she's unstoppable! But then I have to face reality that she has had her flaws in the past. Here is my quick list of the worst singles she’s come out with. Forgive me J.Lo…

5.) “Louboutins”
(originally from the album Love?...but taken off the final tracklisting)
This was just awkward and messy all over. It didn’t break any new ground. It was here that Jenny took 5 steps backward from the direction she was going before. There was no video released, and the song didn’t chart anywhere really. Not to mention that soon after the poor reception, she was dropped from Epic Records. And let's not forget when she fell at the American Music Awards...

4.) “Hold You Down” (featuring Fat Joe)
(from the album Rebirth)
Maybe if she had released “Step Into My World” or “I Got U” as the follow up single to “Get Right” the album might have had a little more success than it did (although it is one of my least favorite albums of hers). It’s the choice to release this as the second single that makes it one of the worst in my eyes. The reunion of Jen and Fat Joe sounds like a good idea, but it felt more like they were trying to recreate the magic and success of “All I Have”, and they failed miserably.

3.) “I’m Glad”
(from the album This Is Me…Then)
My favorite album of hers, but certainly not my favorite song. It’s the lyrics that kills it for me. They're cheesy, corny, and don’t make sense in a lot of ways. It’s almost like a 3rd grader wrote this song for her, but I will say the tribute to Flashdance in the video made it better, just a little bit.

2.) “Alive”
(from the album J to tha L-O! The Remixes)
The corniest song J.Lo ever had. It didn’t really help out her movie Enough, I think it only made things worse. She’s not meant to sing big ballads like this, especially when there’s really no personal connection to what she’s singing. But please skip ahead to the 3:00 mark, and enjoy my favorite facial expression of hers! (Marissa knows what I'm talking about)
               
1.) “Fresh Out The Oven” (featuring Pitbull)
(originally from the album Love?...but taken off the final tracklisting)
I get what they were trying to do: release a sexy buzz single that sounds like nothing she’s done in the past, trying to spark some mysterious interest in her new album. It is a sexy beat, and it has its moments. But this really showcases how weak of a voice she has. There are lots of cringing moments throughout. And if it was to raise interest in her album, it’s easy to see why she was dropped from the label and why the album has taken so long to get released...

BUT...and this is a big one of course since it is Jennifer Lopez: now that this is out of the way, be prepared next week when I put out my favorite singles list, followed by a day-by-day countdown of her albums from worst to best, all leading up to Tuesday, May 3! (that's her album release people...KEEP UP!)