Saturday, April 9, 2011

Showing some love for "Love?"

As everyone important in my life knows, I admire Jennifer Lopez above and beyond anyone else (with the exception, of God, family, and friends, she comes very close to that range). Most gay men have Madonna, Janet, Barbara, Liza, Lady Gaga, and so on. I do have a special place in my heart for all of them of course, but none comes to close to the place I hold for J.Lo herself. So it only makes sense just how excited I am that she has finally released her tracklisting for her long-delayed Love? album.



I'll be releasing my list of favorite and not-so-favorite J.Lo singles within the next few weeks leading up to her new album release, along with my rank of her albums from good to the best. For now, let me just explain that her music career has been one of my favorites. I've been a die-hard fan since seeing her in "Mi Familia", followed by "Selena", the movie that really did steal my heart. Since then, I've followed up on everything I can (from every magazine cover, every movie release, every marriage/relationship, even turning my room into a shrine before realizing just how far my obsession was going). She is the perfect combination of entertainer, singer, actress, and dancer extraordinaire. Along with Janet, Britney, Ciara, and a number of other female artists, she may not have THE strongest voice in the music industry, but she is one of the most entertaining performers around, with pop hit after the next.

I had my doubts with her "Rebirth" album. She started on this downward spiral where her career was considered. It was hard to tell where she was going. After that, she had 2 releases in one year: her Spanish effort "Como Ama Una Mujer" and her English-pop revival "Brave". Neither one was a big commercial success, but it was the latter that made it obvious that creatively, she wasn't the same J.Lo anymore known for memorable hits like "If You Had My Love", "Waiting for Tonight", and "Get Right". Having kids probably seemed like the best bet for her to slow down and take some time to herself.

Slowly but surely, she hinted at a lot of different things coming up. She made a sorta comeback with her romantic comedy "The Back-Up Plan", as well as hinting first towards a greatest hits album celebrating 10 years in music. That album fell through, but she did say she was still working on new music for a new album soon. From 2007 until now, the album Love? has been pushed back and delayed so many times, I started to give up hope that it would ever see the light of day. Finally in September 2009, she released the buzz single "Fresh Out The Oven" with Pitbull. While the video was hot and sexy Jennifer at her best, the vocals and quality in her voice didn't do much to gain buzz and support for the album. Then there was the debut of her first single "Louboutins" at the American Music Awards when she fell on stage during a dance break. After that, the single didn't too well and did not go over so well with me and other die-hard fans (although I tried and tried to get there).

Then of course came her time on Saturday Night Live hosting and performing (with no album release near). She debuted two new songs "Until it Beats No More" and "Starting Over' which made me cringe with so much awkwardness when she was singing. Her voice was all over the place, and it was easy to see that she definitely wasn't in her prime. Of course after that, her music future was put on the edge again when Epic Records dropped her from the label. Where would she go? Would her album Love? ever see the light of day? Then Summer 2010 turned into the slow but steady return of the superstar I've always known and loved.

She was officially singed to Island/Def Jam records, went back into the studio to re-work the album and improve a lot of leaked songs as well as new material. She was announced as one of the new judges for American Idol, thus starting the big comeback of the year. She premiered on American Idol as compassionate, but fair. She's personable, beautiful, and very constructive when it comes to her criticism. She is one of the big reasons why the show is the best it has ever been. Soon after it premiered, she had endorsements with Venus and L'oreal, not to mention the release of the official first single "On the Floor". With the video premiere on American Idol, it was clear that Jenny from the block is coming back onto the scene in a big way. The song reached #5 on the Billboard Hot 100, she garnered a lot of praise for her video and great reception both critically and commercially for the song itself.

It's safe to say that Jennifer Lopez is back, bigger and better than ever, and there's just no stopping her high right now! And with hints towards a big comeback tour this summer, I cannot wait for what's to come from Ms. Lopez. Starting first with her Love? release on May 3, my flame for J.Lo has been rekindled for the better.

Look out soon for my Top 5 best and worst singles list, her album ranking, followed by a review of the official album when it's released. Long live Jenifer Lopez, and thanks for listening to my rant about my idol!